The American College of Rheumatology estimates that fibromyalgia affects as many as 12 million Americans. 90% of people who suffer from the disorder are female.
Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread pain, abnormal pain processing, sleep disturbance, fatigue and often psychological distress. The symptoms of fibromyalgia often occur in flare-ups and all of the symptoms seem to be exacerbated by stress, infections, and uncontrolled environmental factors. People with fibromyalgia may also have other symptoms such as:
- Morning stiffness
- Tingling or numbness in hands and feet
- Headaches, including migraines
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Sleep disturbances
- Cognitive problems with thinking and memory (sometimes called “fibro fog”)
- Problems with thinking and memory (sometimes called “fibro fog”)
- Painful menstrual periods and other pain syndromes
The diagnosis of fibromyalgia is one of exclusion, meaning other causes of this array of symptoms must be ruled out before a diagnosis is confirmed. Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) are thought to go hand in hand and both of these diagnoses are on the rise.
Fibromyalgia often leaves sufferers hopeless with the fear they will never feel well again. Until recently, many assumed it was a psychiatric condition and that the symptoms were not real, leaving those with the disorder frustrated and isolated.
Today, with focused treatment protocols, outcomes have greatly improved and people suffering from fibromyalgia have many hopeful alternatives.
Many mainstream treatment protocols for fibromyalgia consist of pain management and antidepressant medications. Although this approach provides some relief, it does not offer long term solutions.
Other approaches use methods to balance hormones—since the disorder predominantly occurs in female populations—as an alternative to pharmaceuticals.
At Metabolix Wellness Center, our approach involves the following:
- Diagnostic testing: To determine what hormones, inflammatory markers, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids are out of balance.
- Sleep hygiene: People with this condition must get sleep. Working on sleep hygiene and ruling out any underlying sleep conditions is vital.
- Hormone optimization: This could be the single most important component for success. There is plenty of room for optimization even when working within lab ranges. Normal hormone levels are different for each person as we are all very different.
- Diet: Making dietary changes to improve health requires guidance and discipline, but can lead to reduction of symptoms very quickly. Processed foods and refined carbohydrates are directly related to autoimmune disease and conditions such as fibromyalgia. Those who are overweight or obese need to start working their way to a good weight range.
- Exercise: Progressively increasing exercise tolerance is very important.
- Nutritional supplementation: Because most diets rarely contain the right amounts of fruits and vegetables necessary for optimum body function, guided supplementation is a vital component of treatment.
- Infections: Sometimes there are underlying infections that cause the immune system to be overburdened exacerbating symptoms and worsening the condition. Therefore testing and treating certain infections can play a key role.
Hormone Optimization Therapy often helps patients fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Call (727) 230-1438 or CLICK HERE to contact us for an appointment, our wellness staff is ready to assist you in our office located at 26212 US Hwy 19, in Clearwater, Florida.
About Metabolix Wellness Center
Metabolix Wellness Center provides personalized, integrative healthcare for general wellness, anti-aging, athletic performance and weight management as well as more complex medical issues. In addition, our facility also provides aesthetic services and fitness training. Combining diet, nutrition and exercise with evidence based medicine and preventative therapies, our goal is to help our patients achieve and maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.
Metabolix Wellness Center utilizes IV therapy protocols from Trim® Nutrition. These proprietary nutrient injections are formulated by doctors and compounding pharmacists who use the highest quality materials and follow strict manufacturing protocols in a class 10,000 compounding facility.
Headquartered in Clearwater, Florida, Trim® Nutrition and Metabolix Wellness Center’s clinical staff of physicians, pharmacists, registered nurses, and research and development specialists are dedicated to the mission of Making Bodies Better™.